IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PIO CARDHOLDERS
This is to inform that all PIO cards issued till 09.01.2015 are deemed to be OCI card. PIO Card scheme has been withdrawn vide Gazette Notification No.25024/9/2014F.I dated 09.01.2015. Henceforth, applicants may apply for OCI card ONLY, as PIO card scheme is no longer in existence.
Updated information on requirement of registration for OCI in lieu of PIO cards:
- Date of submission of online applications by the erstwhile PIO cardholders with valid PIO cards as on 09 January 2015 for registration as OCI cardholder in lieu of PIO card has now been further extended till 30th June, 2017.
- The applicants may submit the applications for OCI card in lieu of PIO card to the Embassy/Consulates/FFRO concerned within the Consular jurisdiction of his/her place of residence. This is in modification of the earlier instruction that they should apply only at the location where the PIO card was issued.
- In cases of erstwhile PIO cardholders, the new foreign passport number (when they get a new passport) will be endorsed on the existing PIO card till the person concerned is issued an OCI card in lieu of PIO card.
- PIO cardholder can travel to India on the basis of their valid PIO card and valid foreign passport.
- While the grant of OCI card in lieu of PIO card will be on gratis basis, the applicants may have to bear only the postage charges and service fee wherever applicable.
Advantages for registration as OCI cardholder in lieu of PIO card
OCI card is a smart card which will facilitate quicker immigration clearance at the Immigration counters in India. Therefore, PIO cardholders are advised to apply for OCI card in lieu of PIO card before 30th June, 2017, at https://passport.gov.in/oci.The process and other details in respect of OCI is available athttp://www.hciottawa.ca/view_detail.php?id=19