Scholarship programme for Diaspora Children
FOR HIGHER AND TECHNICAL EDUCATION IN INDIA
Government of India has launched “Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children” (SPDC), for the academic year 2016-2017, for the wards of Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) and Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) to assist them in pursuing Under Graduate courses in Indian Universities/Institutes.
Under SPDC scheme financial assistance for specific undergraduate courses in Professional and Non-Professional courses (except Medical and related courses)is provided towards tuition fee, admission fee and post admission services.
NUMBER OF SCHOLARSHIPS:
Scholarship shall be provided to 150 selected students, without earmarking NRIs/ PIOs. 50 out of these 150 scholarships are earmarked for Children of Indian workers (CIWG) in the 17 Emigration Check Required (ECR) countries subject to fulfilling eligibility conditions. Of these 50 scholarships 1/3rd shall be reserved for children who are pursuing studies in India, subject to fulfilling eligibility conditions. If any of these seats are not filled up, they will be made available to applicants from other categories under SPDC and vice-versa.
- The NRI, PIO students who were admitted in India in 2015-16 batch are now eligible for scholarships under SPDC and will be governed by guidelines of the existing revamped Scheme 2016-17. Such students will be considered for scholarship from the current academic year (i.e. they will not receive scholarship amount for 2015-16). The amount of scholarship for this category of students shall be determined as applicable for 2nd year students. Applications from such candidates be submitted through SPDC Portal by 31 December 2016
- The monthly income limit for PIOs and NRIs has been raised to US$ 4000 from existing US$ 2250.
- The candidates can now upload self-attested copies of all supporting documents except proof of Indian Origin. The proof of Indian Origin or undertaking about Indian Origin of applicants must be attested by Mission and submitted on SPDC portal
- In addition to NITs, IIITs and SPAs covered under DASA Scheme, students admitted in other premier institutes covered under DASA shall also be eligible for scholarship under SPDC Scheme.
- Last date for submission of applications is extended to 31 December, 2016
SPDC is awarded to following four categories:
- Person of Indian Origin
- Non-Resident Indian
- Children of Indian Workers in ECR countries studying outside India
- Children of Indian Workers in ECR countries studying in India
Age: The SPDC is open to applicants in the age group of 17 to 21 years as on 1st October 2016. Applicants born on or after 1st October, 1995 and before 1st October, 1999 are eligible to apply. Date of birth as recorded in the Secondary Education Board/University Certificate of Class 10th or equivalent, or as mentioned in a certificate for this purpose issued by appropriate Government authorities of respective countries will be taken as authentic for this purpose.
Qualifying Examination: The candidate must have passed the Senior Secondary (10+2) or equivalent examination from a system of education recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), with requisite subjects.
Minimum Marks in qualifying Examination: The candidate must have secured a minimum of 60% aggregate marks or equivalent grades in aggregate of all the subjects in the qualifying examination.
Subjects of Study in Qualifying Examination: The candidate must have studied the prescribed essential subjects at the qualifying examination level to pursue a particular course of study.
Applicants/candidates who passed the qualifying examination (10+2) and has secured admission in an undergraduate course in the designated Institution in India and fulfill other eligibility criteria can apply for SPDC. Such candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of marks/score obtained at 10+2 level along with submission of proof of Admission Letter issued by the Institution, duly stamped and signed by Authorized Signatory of that Institution and other required documents submitted online (on SPDC portal) by 31st December, 2016.
It shall be the responsibility of the candidates to ascertain whether they meet the eligibility criterion for application under SPDC Scholarship scheme. Eligibility of candidates, in doubtful cases, would be decided by Ministry of External Affairs.
SHORTLISTING & SELECTION PROCESS
Selection process will be based exclusively on ‘MERIT’:
Submission of Applications:
Applicant shall submit SPDC APPLICATION FORM (available on the website of Ministry of External Affairs www.mea,gov.in along with the required documents (scan copy) by 31st December 2016. Only APPLICATION FORMS submitted online will be accepted.
List of selected candidates will be posted on the website of Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) www.mea.gov.in.
Candidates shall give their consent about acceptance of scholarship through e-mail to Ministry of External Affairs within 7 days of publication of the 1st list of shortlisted candidates.
GUIDELINES AND APPLICATION FORM 2016-2017
List of countries
* The last date of submission of forms on the SPDC portal has been extended to 31 December, 2016